Maccaferri Balkans provided Maccaferri Middle East with a Terramesh System used in an award-winning project.
Our Terramesh System is made up of double twisted wire mesh units made of steel wire. The units are protected with (1) eutectic alloy of zinc and aluminium, (2) rare earths, and (3) an additional plastic coating. The coating can be linked to polyester geogrids that have been coated with polyolefin to provide optimum durability for up to 120 years (as required by international standards).
When Mr. Jayakrishnan Puthiya Veettil, Regional Technical Manager of Maccaferri Middle East was asked what the main challenge faced by OM in this situation had been, he answered:
Historically, this project marks the first application of the ParaMesh system in the ME region. The project was originally designed with very high soil filled embankments which were changed to nearly vertical retaining structures. The whole process of approval and construction of the ParaMesh system has been really challenging due to the stringent quality standards and internal processes of the consultant M/s. Halcrow. The client made a thorough comparison of the techno commercial benefits of various systems available in the market, following which, ParaMesh was chosen as the retaining wall system for this project. It took nearly one year of long process to start the construction from the date of conceptual proposal by Maccaferri.
Mr. Jayakrishnan Puthiya Veettil, listed the following primary benefits, advantages and value additions:
- Trapezoidal Section design reduces rock blasting & earth works. The system typically allows use of larger sized backfill (up to 15cm) material by mixing it with blasted rocks.
- The flexibility of the Terramesh facia makes it the most seismic resilient solution. It also allows for the absorption of differential settlements without damaging the facia.
- The self draining nature of facia & backfill helps the structure avoid the development of excess pore water pressure during flash flood situations (which is very common at this kind of project site).
- The facia is made up of flexible gabion material that can be deformed to any non standard size at site depending on the rock excavation foundation profile which varies according to design considerations.
- The construction of the ParaMesh system is user-friendly.
In this link you will find the complete interview with Mr. Jayakrishnan Puthiya Veettil, the Regional Technical Manager of Maccaferri Middle East.
For more information about this project please contact us.