Badgers, rabbits, rodents, and general burrowing animals cause damage to earthworks including slopes, riverbanks, and transport infrastructure areas. These animals are worthy of species protection so we have created a mesh that can withstand their natural instincts to burrow and prevent the damage with protection.
Anti-burrowing mesh or more commonly known as Badger netting is a slope protection system which is put in place to prevent slope deterioration from burrowing animals.
The anti-burrowing mesh comes in two types:
- A double twisted steel wire mesh with smaller aperture than our standard meshes;
- A drapery mesh as above but with an extra 3D polymer matrix layer which is extruded onto the wire mesh encouraging vegetation to the slope.
Anti-burrowing mesh has the following benefits:
- Steel stops burrowing effectively as prevents biting
- Polymer coated for 120 year design life
- BBA certified
- Butt connection with no overlapping – no material wastage
- Double Twist mesh does not unravel when wires are damaged
- Easily cut and relaced around obstacles, e.g. tree stumps
- Surface reinforcement ensures embankment safety from high water levels
Anti-burrowing mesh and the 3D polymer matrix has the following benefits:
- Erosion control which reduces irrigation / wash out of fine soil particles
- Aids vegetation which is additional support for plant growth and creates wildlife habitats
- Easy to maintain and install
- High flexibility to adapt to uneven surfaces