Discover what it is and how it works from our experts at Maccaferri Mexico
Often used as an erosion control technique on construction sites, Hydroseeding is a technique to rapidly establish vegetation on vulnerable slopes, in which a slurry containing seed, hydroseeding mulch, fertilizer and a tackifier (bonding agent) is sprayed onto the ground. It offers many advantages to the traditional process of broadcasting or sowing dry seed.
It promotes quick germination and inhibits soil erosion. It is also a very cost effective alternative to sod and offers a significant cost savings as well as many other benefits.
As explained by International Association of Hydroseeding Professionals (IAHP), virtually any grass or erosion control seed that can be planted by seed can be hydroseeded. This includes any sun or shade lawn seed, athletic field mixes, pasture mixes, native grasses, wildflowers, roadside mixes and erosion control mixes. The nutrient rich slurry helps promote fast germination.
The hydroseeding mulch helps keep the soil moist to enable the seed to germinate quickly and unlike straw or hay contains no weed seed. The tackifier in the mix acts like a glue to hold the mulch in place and to help prevent washout in the case of heavy rains.
Indeed, the advantages of hydro seeding over sod mainly can be highlighted as follows:
– you can have a sod quality lawn in a few weeks for less than 1/3 the cost of sod;
– Both hydroseeding and sod require watering but the watering requirements for hydroseeding are less;
– Hydroseeding grows the lawn on your soil and is not a different soil that is transplanted;
– The problem of sod not “taking” is eliminated;
– With sod the roots are cut very short and the sod goes through some shock during shipment and installation.
To get in touch with a Hydroseeding professional from our Company, or to learn more about our range of erosion control application, please do not hesitate to contact us.