Challenges in Urban Areas. Urban areas introduce another dimension to the engineering problems facing our clients. Due to the presence of other infrastructure and people, the opportunities for development are reduced and more expensive.
Typical problems can include:
- narrower construction corridors for road or rail works requiring steeper retaining walls;
- steeply sloping housing developments needing soil reinforcement to create terraces to maximise development areas;
- the presence of groundwater adjacent to new structures may require drainage;
- commercial developments on soft soils in a redevelopment zone needing basal reinforcement
- tunnelling works for metros or other underground infrastructure
Aesthetic and performance-minded. Additionally the aesthetics are important as is the performance of the intervention as a screening, acoustic or safety barrier. Selection of a solution that minimises the disruption to residents, commuters and commerce can also be a factor.