Maccaferri can provide a full range of geosynthetics for landfill applications.
Added to the challenge presented to communities and institutions to cater for a growing population world-wide, is the problem posed by waste disposal. Maccaferri Hellas can offer years of experience in the areas of landfill construction and management.
The problem of waste disposal has world-wide implications, and as the population of a specific area grows, the demand for greater landfill capacity is inevitable. These areas need to be managed with extreme caution to improve the environmental conditions that affect people’s quality of life. Therefore, we must treat a landfill not as a mere ‘dump’ area but as a living orgasm, which requires a number of stabilisation phases.
These phases may be summarized as follows:
- Foundation and reinforcements
- Improvement of the site’s geological characteristics
- Water drainage
- Water filtration
- Geomembrane protection
- Leachate drainage
- Leachate filtration
- Gas collection
- Erosion control
Industrial products usually provide solutions for most of the problems, but making appropriate selection also requires deep knowledge of the characteristics of the products and the way they interact.
Problems that should be solved in landfills are:
– How can we secure the geomembrane from mechanical damage and avoid overstressing it?
– Which is the right combination of materials to create an impermeable geological barrier?
– How can we maintain one metre of soil on a sloped surface and guarantee long-term stability in the performance of the full layer?
– How do the drainage geocomposite characteristics change when they are used in a landfill?
And many more…
We can supply complete solutions to our clients. Read more about a project we contributed to in the Chalcidice peninsula.