Geosynthetic materials are today used in the Russian construction sector, but not all engineers are actually aware of the advantages and benefits of modern geosynthetic
Being witnesses of the geosynthetic materials used in the Russian road sector for the last ten years, we can say that, finally, the "ice was broken". Nowadays, different types of geosynthetics are used almost everywhere: 3D and planar geogrids, geomats, drainage geocomposites.
However, not all engineers and builders actually understand the meaning of geocomposite drainage and the methods of its usage, because for a long time traditional inert materials, suich as sands and gravels, were used for drainage.
Firstly, the drainage geocomposites were developed and used in Europe for partial or total replacement of inert non-renewable materials. The european environmental and technical requirements for road constructions are very rigorous.
Today, the drainage geocomposites are used increasingly instead of traditional materials (sand, crushed stone/gravel) as drainage layers in infrastructure construction (roads, railways, airports, platforms of different purposes, hydraulic engineering, oil and gas facilities, agricultural and sports sites). Maccaferri MacDrain geocomposites are multilayer composite draining materials (planar geodrain), consisting of a geomat layer (drainage core) thermally bonded with nonwoven geotextiles (filters) or film-covered geotextile (waterproofing). Many configurations and varieties are available to tailor the product to the specific drainage problem to be addressed.
The range of technical solutions for road constriction using MacDrain geocomposites is extensive: planar drainage of roads, highway and railway reconstruction and remediation, and slope and trench drainage. The major benefits of MacDrain geocomposite drainage versus traditional sand-and-gravel solutions are:
- Economic and environmental benefits, since the installation time is significantly lower reducing construction time and costs, while transportation of inert materials is significantly lowered, thus reducing hydrocarbon emissions
- Technical advantages: stagnation of water in the body of the road is avoided as water is rerouted in predetermined directions via the drainage geocomposite. This reduces the risk of rutting and cracking within the road
- Ease of installation, since just one worker can lay a 2m wide roll without the need to use specific machinery to unroll it. The time necessary to joint adjacent rolls is also very short
- Specific software is available to design with confidence and rapidly
- In order to offer the same drainage capacity, traditional inert materials would need to be 30-50cm wide compared to the typical 10mm thick MacDrain products.
All of this translates into considerable savings. For example, MacDrain W1091 used within road subgrades instead of the traditional granular subgrades, brought savings for 48% vs the original budget.
For more technical details, please download the Technical Data Sheet (available in the russian language).
For more information, please contact us.